This qualification, which has been designed by industry professionals, is suitable if you want to work as support for an older person or a person with a disability on an individual basis. This kind of work requires discretion and good judgement as well as a solid base of factual, technical and procedural knowledge.
This course covers a range of core unit competencies including: provide individualised support, recognising healthy body systems, facilitating the empowerment of older people, providing support to people living with dementia, supporting independence and wellbeing, meeting personal support needs and providing first aid.
Successful completion of the CHC33015 Certificate III in Individual Support (Ageing) can lead to a range of potential career opportunities that are both challenging and rewarding.
Turn your passion for caring into a full career with one of the most sought-after qualifications in the growing health services industry!
- CHC43015 – Certificate IV in Ageing Support
- CHC43115 – Certificate IV in Disability
- CHC43415 – Certificate IV in Leisure and Health
Many learners who complete the Certificate III qualification, Aged Care or Disability related specialist disciplines can also use this as a pathway or introduction into Diploma or Registered Nursing programmes.
Note: While ACFE may not offer all the qualifications indicated within the pathway and qualification streams, we identify relevant progression that may be attained.
You can pursue a wide variety of roles after completing the CHC33015 Certificate III in Individual Support course in aged care, including:
- Aged Care Worker
- Assistant in Nursing
- Community Care Worker
- Personal Care Giver and Support Worker
- Residential Support Worker
- Respite Care Worker
This course is delivered through what is known as a ‘blended delivery technique’. It is an effective combination of face-to-face training, practical observations, workshops and self-paced learning at home or in the ACFE Computer lab.
All the theory subjects are completed in class and at home at your own pace – within a set of reasonable time frames to complete each unit.
Trainers and Assessors are readily accessible during standard business hours for any questions or assistance you may require.
The course comprises of 52 weeks, including 12 weeks’ holidays. This is structured as four (4) study periods each comprising of 10 weeks’ study, interspersed with three breaks of two weeks’ duration and a final Christmas/New Year break of six weeks. Incorporated into the break periods are catch-up classes and opportunities for submitting outstanding work.
Students have twenty (20) study hours per week. This course comprises of:
- 800 hours course total
- 548 hours of face-to-face tuition including practical observation
- 132 hours of self-study activities
- 120 hours of practical work placement
Students will spend 132 hours of self-paced study, completing learner guide activities, quizzes, research, assessment tasks and research of subject learning material.
The practical observation and workshops are face-to-face with qualified trainers; these are delivered in the ACFE Aged care simulated lab.
You’ll find the hands-on practical observation experience interesting and beneficial, so that you can perform tasks efficiently and effectively in an actual workplace which will build your confidence and competence.
In Home Respite Worker, Nurse’s Aide, Community Access Coordinator, Planned activity assistant, Accommodation Support Worker, Care Service Employee, Community care worker, Food Services Deliverer, Disability Service Officer, Care assistant, Client Assistant, Care Worker. Community House Worker, Home care assistant ,Residential Care Worker, Residential Support Worker, Senior Personal Care Assistant, Transport Support Worker, Field Officer (Community Services),Family Support Worker, School Support Officer (Disability),Residential aide.
- On successful completion of year 11 or its equivalence
- Students must be over 18 years of age to conduct practical placement
- Have basic computer skills
- Obtain a Unique Student Identifier (USI)
- For domestic students this is an open entry programme of study with participants needing to read, write and communicate in English, to a level to perform the job. Students will be required to complete an LLN evaluation to determine suitability
- For international students, ACFE also accepts proof of a level of English proficiency of IELTS level 5.5 or equivalent. If international students cannot provide documented proof of their English language proficiency, they will be required to sit for a Language, Literacy and Numeracy test (LLN) before a place can be offered
- Documentation according to DHA requirements
Required prior to commencing practical work placement:
- National Police check
- A Commonwealth of Australia Statutory Declaration (Aged Care) is in addition to a current national police certificate, as this records only those convictions recorded in Australian jurisdictions
- been convicted of murder or sexual assault; or
- been convicted of, and sentenced to imprisonment for, any other form of assault
- Working with Children Check (Volunteer)
Students who have been citizens or permanent residents of a country other than Australia since turning 16 years of age, must make a statutory declaration before starting work in any aged care service, stating that in Australia, or any other country, they have never:
Relates to the learning achieved outside the formal education and training system. It is an assessment process that assesses the individual’s non-formal and informal learning. This may include any combination of formal or informal training and education, work experience or general life experience to determine the extent to which that individual has achieved the required learning outcomes, competency outcomes, or standards for entry to, and/or partial or total completion of, a qualification.
To receive RPL, we assess your previous work, education and life experiences against recognised qualifications.
Applications for RPL must be made prior to the commencement of the course – please speak with the Student Services Officer if you wish to apply. There is a fee for consideration of RPL applications.
If you have previously completed a unit with the same unit code as in your new course, you will be eligible for a credit transfer and you will not have to repeat that unit. There is no cost associated with this process, but you will need to complete a credit transfer application.
To be granted National Recognition, you need to show us the original Certificate or Statement of Attainment (or a certified copy – which means it has been certified by a Justice of the Peace as being a true copy of the original document). Applications for National Recognition must be made prior to the commencement of the course.
- International Students: $10,000 (includes materials & Administration Fee)
- Fees are subject to changes
- Written and oral questions
- Case Study/Scenarios
- Third party reports
- Observation in a simulated work environment
- Observation after in actual work environment via third party reports and observation checklists
These will give you maximum opportunity to develop your knowledge in individual support and specialise in ageing or aged care.
Everything you learn at ACFE has direct links to the real world. You’ll have the chance to put theory into practice in 120 hours of practical work placement that we arrange for you in a high/low care facility.
You’ll learn from Trainers and Assessors who have valuable industry contacts and the latest industry-standard skills and knowledge. Learning with us means you’ll get the hands-on learning to be job-ready and confidence prior to the commencement of your practical work placement.
Practical Placement, or “on-the-job” training, is an important part of the CHC33015 Certificate III in Individual Support. It gives you the opportunity to apply, in a real-life setting, the theoretical knowledge gained in the classroom and the practical knowledge gained in the aged care simulated lab.
It also allows you to develop these skills and practical knowledge under the supervision of experienced practitioners.